Restoring Confidence and Wholeness
At PMA Dermatology, we understand the emotional and physical impact of breast cancer and other breast-related conditions. Our breast reconstruction procedures are designed to help restore your confidence and sense of wholeness by recreating a natural-looking breast shape. Contact us today at (352) 565-7575 to schedule a consultation and learn more about how breast reconstruction can provide you with a positive and empowering experience.
What is this procedure?
Breast reconstruction is a surgical procedure that aims to rebuild one or both breasts following a mastectomy, lumpectomy, or other breast-related surgeries. The procedure involves recreating the breast mound and, in some cases, restoring the nipple and areola complex. Breast reconstruction can be performed using various techniques, including implant-based reconstruction and autologous tissue reconstruction.
What body part does this procedure target?
Breast reconstruction primarily targets the breasts. The procedure is used to address the loss or absence of breast tissue that may occur due to:
- Mastectomy: Complete removal of one or both breasts as a treatment for breast cancer or as a preventive measure for individuals at high risk.
- Lumpectomy: Removal of a portion of breast tissue, which may result in noticeable changes in breast size and shape.
- Trauma or injury: Severe trauma or injury that results in the loss or deformity of breast tissue.
Who is a good candidate for Treatment?
Good candidates for breast reconstruction are individuals who:
- Have undergone a mastectomy, lumpectomy, or other breast-related surgeries.
- Desire to restore the appearance of one or both breasts.
- Are in good overall health and do not have any medical conditions that may interfere with the surgery or recovery.
- Have realistic expectations about the procedure and its outcomes.
- Are non-smokers or willing to quit smoking prior to the procedure.
During a consultation at PMA Dermatology, our experienced team will evaluate your specific needs and goals to determine if you are a suitable candidate for breast reconstruction.
Why is this procedure used for?
Breast reconstruction is used for the following reasons:
- Restoring breast appearance: Breast reconstruction aims to recreate a natural-looking breast mound, providing individuals with a sense of wholeness and symmetry.
- Psychological well-being: Rebuilding the breasts can have a positive impact on an individual’s self-esteem, body image, and overall quality of life after breast cancer or other breast-related conditions.
- Clothing options: Breast reconstruction allows individuals to have more clothing options and regain confidence in their appearance, as it can help restore balance and symmetry in the upper body.
How Does this procedure Work?
Breast reconstruction can be achieved through different techniques:
Implant-based reconstruction: This technique involves the placement of breast implants to recreate the breast mound. The implants can be inserted either during the same surgery as the mastectomy (immediate reconstruction) or at a later stage (delayed reconstruction). In some cases, tissue expanders may be used to gradually stretch the skin and create space for the implants.
Autologous tissue reconstruction: Also known as flap reconstruction, this technique uses the patient’s own tissue, typically from the abdomen, buttocks, or back, to reconstruct the breast mound. The tissue is surgically transferred to the chest and carefully shaped to create a natural-looking breast. This method may require a longer recovery period but can provide a more permanent and natural result.
The choice of technique depends on various factors, including your body type, overall health, and personal preferences. During your consultation at PMA Dermatology, our skilled team will discuss the options and recommend the most suitable approach for you.
What is the cost?
The cost of breast reconstruction can vary based on factors such as the chosen technique, the extent of the procedure, the need for additional treatments, and your geographic location. It is important to note that breast reconstruction is typically covered by insurance plans as it is considered a part of the breast cancer treatment process. During your consultation, we will provide you with detailed information about the cost and help you navigate the insurance process.
Benefits of Arm Lifts
Undergoing breast reconstruction at PMA Dermatology offers numerous benefits, including:
- Restored breast appearance and symmetry.
- Improved self-confidence and body image.
- Psychological and emotional well-being.
- Ability to wear various clothing styles with confidence.
- Sense of wholeness and empowerment.
Take the first step towards breast reconstruction by contacting PMA Dermatology at (352) 565-7575 to schedule a consultation. Our compassionate team will provide personalized recommendations and support you throughout your journey to restore your breasts and regain your confidence.